After the coming of the railroads and the influx of people (the Turneys being two) to the El Paso region in the late nineteenth century, a city remained to be built.
Henry Trost moved to El Paso in 1903, and with his brother, established Trost & Trost, an architecture firm. While many members of the Trost family contributed to the family business, most accounts name Henry the primary designer.
Although the Turneys originally lived in a white stucco cottage, they loved to entertain and needed a residence in which to do so. In 1907 or 1908 (accounts vary) W.W. Turney commissioned Henry Trost to design a home for the entire city block on Montana Ave. which he owned.